Im in the process of trying to make our tiny apartment more comfortable. When I say “comfortable” I mean, more my style, and less of the feeling of I-strongly-dislike-everything-about-this-place each time I walk in the door. You see, we are on this debt free journey so we live in a tiny, less than desirable apartment to save money and put more money into our debts. It’s totally worth it but after almost 1.5 years, I am counting the days, no minutes, until I can buy a new anything. There are times when I want to throw everything out the window and get a 30 year mortgage on some ridiculously expensive house (hello, have you seen Colorado’s housing market!!!), but I have to remind myself that this is only temporary. And true, once we are debt free, we won’t be able to get a house right away, we still have to be responsible and build a nice emergency fund then a good down payment. So a house purchase is still far off in the future, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make our apartment more enjoyable to live in.
Honestly, I really struggled with that thought. Do I spend money sprucing up a temporary living situation? Some days I think,yes and other days, no. Lately I am thinking yes. You don’t have to drop thousands of dollars to make your place feel and look more like home but you can put some effort into it. I mean, we will be here at least another year and a half longer. That’s a long time to hate where you spend most of your time, right?
So onto my first DIY project. I turned our ugly brown curtain rods into a gold, more modern rod. It was so easy and cheap.
I just purchased gold spay pain, I used this one. I took the hardware outside and used a pain tarp to protect the grass outside our apartment. About 5 inches away from the hardware, I sprayed SLOWLY in an even lines to cover the hardware. It took about 3 coats of paint. I let them dry for about an hour and then reassemble.
tip* If I were to do this again I would probably finish with some clear matte spray paint to help the gold stay on the hardware because when I reassembled, some of the paint scratched off. No big deal though because it was easily disguised with the curtain.